Friday, May 12, 2006

Email Sally Gilbert helped Sylvia Stultz write/send last night

[NOTE: Sally is planning to have her "birthday party luncheon" tomorrow in Sylvia's hospital room. Sylvia will probably be going home Monday.]

-----Original Message-----
From: Sylvia Stultz [mailto:sls20008@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:11 PM
Subject: News
Dear Friends,
I am sorry I’ve been out of touch. I’ve been in quite
a swim.

Since March it seems like I’ve been in the hospital
more days than out. I had a few surgeries-- a planned
insertion of a feeding tube -- an unplanned hip
replacement for a broken leg. And I’m now in the
hospital waiting for news about the possibility of
neurosurgery (unlikely).

The issue now is pain management related to a tumor
in the back which we had hoped could be resolved
"easily" with radiation, but this has not been
adequate. I have excellent pain management teams at
NIH and Sibley and we are exploring more dramatic
options, including nerve blocks and an experiment with
high dose vitamin C infusion.

My goal now is a fun, coherent summer with loved ones;
so please join me starting with your prayers and good
wishes.

I need you to help sustain the web of love and caring
that you have provided for me and my family for so
many months. Jill will be coming home from college a
little early [NOTE: Kathrin drove home with Jill last night
and stayed overnight with her], and my mother and sisters will be
nearby. Hopefully I will be home from the hospital
early next week.

A few years ago, I had a dear friend who, despite her
serious illness, was able to return my calls until
almost the very end; I loved the peace that hearing
her voice gave me. As most of you know, I’m terrible
at returning calls and notes in the best of times, and
I’m sorry that I can’t and won’t be able offer this
wonderful sense of security or to be with each of you
as much as I would like.

I do want you to know that you won’t have to worry
about not hearing about serious events, including my
death, and I have made arrangements for a friend to
send messages about important matters.

I am saddened by the fact that my energy is low and my
prognosis is poor. Unfortunately I won't have the
stamina to be with you as much as I would like. I'll
provide guidance soon about ways and times to visit.

Thanks again for the love which has kept me so
energized through this long journey.
Love,
Sylvia

No comments: